National Minimum Wage rates increases come into effect on 1 October 2013:
- the adult rate will increase by 12p to £6.31 an hour
- the rate for 18-20 year olds will increase by 5p to £5.03 an hour
- the rate for 16-17 year olds will increase by 4p to £3.72 an hour
- the apprentice rate will increase by 3p to £2.68 an hour and
- the accommodation offset increases from the current £4.82 to £4.91 a day.
The accommodation offset rate is used where the employer provides you with accommodation, some of the value of which can count towards NMW pay.
It is important to note that these rates, which are in force from 1 October 2013, apply to pay reference periods beginning on or after that date.
Most workers in the UK over school leaving age are entitled to be paid at least the National Minimum Wage (NMW) for details of exceptions see the Acas website.